May 19, 2010

Day 3... Church and a Scenic Drive... oh yeah, and Mother's Day :)

We slept in Sunday morning (a welcome relief after the hard first night).  Then we had a big scrumptious breakfast of pancakes bacon and eggs. There is something that is SO good about that kind of breakfast when you're camping. Then Brent and Chico went and showered while I cleaned up camp, they were gone a long time and while I was cleaning I remembered that it was Mother's Day. I laughed but said oh well, when you're camping you have to work as a team to get everything done, especially with a toddler, and apparently he was really grumpy the whole time so I got the better job anyway. When we were all ready we drove to Sacrament Meeting in Orderville. I kept forgetting we were still in Utah and was surprised to see so many people at church, silly me.  After church we drove through Zion and I took a few pictures from the car.  This first picture shows how the East side of Zion is.  I felt like we were hiking through the mountains in our car because everything was so close to the road.  It was awesome!
Photobucket

Photobucket


Then we heated up some vegetable beef soup for lunch (bleh).  Then we explored around the campground and saw horses and a cute sheep dog.  Chico wouldn't touch any animals.  We tried sitting him on a horse but he flipped out. He's fascinated by the animals, he just doesn't want to touch them I guess.  
Chico was obsessed with playing in the car for most of the trip. We thought he'd be content to play in the dirt and with rocks... but no. 
Photobucket
Then we made chicken pot pie in the dutch oven which worked out fabulously as well.  
Our plan was to leave early the next morning from Zion to move campgrounds over to Escalante.  We decided to get everything packed Sunday night that we could.  So Chico and I stayed warm in the tent reading books and packing our bags while Brent got camp almost all ready to go AND he made cornbread in the dutch oven so that we could have a quick no mess breakfast in the morning (it's in tinfoil, hence the no mess).  So we got it all ready for us to go to bed and wake up early and throw everything in the car and go.
And oh my goodness, the cornbread was AMAZINGLY good!

2 comments:

BHatch said...

I'm trying to remember if there was a charge for incredibleness? I want to go there again!

BHatch said...

That cornbread WAS amazing, but then again, I wish I could have cornbread for my birthday cake.