June 17, 2011

Hogle Zoo

Chico, Nelmo, and I had the fun opportunity of going to Hogle Zoo with my family.  Brent was off camping with the scouts so he couldn't go.  Since I had my family there helping me with my boys I had more opportunity of taking pictures of the animals.  Unfortunately I had the Rebel (Brent had the 5D) but I think I still pulled off some nice pictures with my little 50mm prime lens.

As we walked into Hogle Zoo they had the Eagles out for display. Awesome!!! I got to walk up really close to them and didn't have a cage blocking my way for pics! They are beautiful birds! Anyone know what kind this brown one is? I've been wondering.  Maybe someone can pull out their bird book and look it up? Thanks.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

My cute sister Emily humored me with this picture. (So did my Mom but I don't think she'd want me to post that picture, lol)
Photobucket

Chico shared the stroller with his cousin. He had only a few smiles the whole time and this is one of them (though I may have forced him to smile). He was just kinda scared of the animals and very timid.
Photobucket

But he LOVED this digging in the sandbox thing they had over by the construction area. I bet we could have stayed there for an hour and the kids would have loved it!
Photobucket

Across from where they were playing were these monkeys. Look closely, one of them is holding a monkey doll! Isn't that weird!?
Photobucket

Some beautiful birds...
Photobucket

Photobucket

So this peacock was just walking along through the zoo all high and mighty. He passed right by me. I was snapping pictures right and left and all of the sudden he bent over and ate something off the ground. We all kind of looked at each other in surprise because it wasn't food. Now maybe we were all confused and this red thing was actually his tongue or something, but I swear that red thing was what he ate, and then just kept on walking. It was weird. Hope he's okay.
Photobucket
As I watched the peacock walking by I couldn't help but think about Kung Fu Panda 2 and feel frightened a little bit. :)

I made it into a picture!
Photobucket

Photobucket

The Tigers were acting kinda weird, they were just pacing back and forth on this bridge above the pedestrian walk way. Kinda freaky but awesome photo op.
Photobucket

We were wondering how tall that giraffe was, luckily he was happy to oblige and went and stood by the wall so we could see. 14 feet, pretty good!
Photobucket

And this is the last picture I got before my camera battery died. My big bro and Nelmo.
Photobucket


1 comment:

Chuck Williamson said...

Great question on the brown bird. That there bird is likely a Golden Eagle. Why? Two reasons. First, it has brown eyes. Notice the Bald Eagle has different colored eyes. Second, notice the horseshoe shaped feather configuration on its lower breast. Bald Eagles don't have these. Rather, they prefer capital alphabets. This one has an "S" on its chest.