January 9, 2012

Our "Hurricane"

Yes, I know. I'm way behind on our blog. This was over a month ago but you've got to start somewhere so, I'll start with December 1, 2011. 70-100 mph winds tore through most of Davis County and Ogden causing damage right and left. Trees down, siding and shingles torn away, fences down, business signs blown down, people in Ogden were literally picked up and thrown down by the wind. Brent drove around and took a few pictures. I wish I had taken more.  It was crazy I tell you.

Our neighbor's tree fell right on their house. So scary!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This was funny because the people who owned this tree hooked up a rope to a truck and pulled it back upright and it is still standing I think!
Photobucket

It's so weird to see this tree gone, I grew up playing in this yard:
Photobucket

What a mess!
Photobucket

Our power was out for most the day and so I was hanging out at Christa's place because she, for some reason, had power.  Right after dinner the power went out at her place and my grandma called and said my uncle Steve had rigged up the furnace to a generator and had that going so it would be warm.  Well, with Christa and Nate's power out there really wasn't any reason to stay so I headed home right then instead of waiting an hour or two (when Brent got off) like I had been planning. I got home and walked in the door and immediately a terrible smell hit me and I heard my carbon monoxide detector going off.  I ran upstairs and grandma and grandpa were just chillin' not noticing any problems. I feel bad that I had to unplug the generator and open windows and doors (because they were just getting warm).  But it stunk SO bad and my throat was getting itchy and the detector was still going off.  So, I talked to Steve and we decided I should just move it out of the garage. I couldn't get it started after that on my own but luckily I have really nice neighbors that are always so willing to help. So my neighbor got it going and I LEFT the house with the kids and went to my parents (their power had just returned). Grandma and Grandpa seemed un-phased by it all and they stayed. Then Brent and I were back at the house getting some things for bed and the power came back on (around 10:30) but the kids were already settled at my parents and we didn't want to risk if there was still any harmful chemicals still floating in the air (the detector was still going off) so we had a warm (but somewhat miserable night) at my parents. Uncle Steve came over and got my grandparent's all straightened out after that and he re-set the detector and it stopped beeping so all was well.  I'm just grateful that I got home when I did and that we had a working detector. The Lord is always blessing us.

No comments: