January 27, 2010

middle of the night

At about 3:00 I hear Chico start to cry. I hope he'd just go back to bed, but the crying grew louder. I stumble into his room. He's half asleep while crying. I try to get him comfy again so he'll fall back asleep. Didn't work. I try to make a bottle. Wouldn't take it. I tried to feed him Tylenol. Wouldn't let me. I tried to rock him, read to him, and walk him around. He wouldn't stop screaming. By now I was worried so I brought him into our bedroom and said, "Brent, I don't know what to do! I can't get him to stop crying!" Brent sleepily asks me, "Have you taken him on the front porch yet?"

"No....." I reply, I hadn't even thought of it. In my head I'm thinking, 'like that'll work, this kid is REALLY upset'. But I thought I'd give it a try. As soon as I get in the front room he seems to calm a little and by the time I open the front door and take him out there he calmed right down and stared out at the few stars we could see through the foggy haze and down at the city lights. When it got too cold for me to stand out there in my barefooted pajamaness I went back inside and shut the door and we just stared out the front window until he laid his head on my shoulder and started to fall back asleep. Thank goodness Brent thinks outside of the box and calms Chico in non-traditional ways. I need that creative thinking in my mothering. Good thing I've got such a wonderful husband. And he's got some amazing skills (Napolean Dynamite), like picture taking skills:

Photobucket
Anyway Chico has been fast asleep for an hour now and I'm still wide awake. I hate when I can't back to sleep. Guess I'll photo edit for a bit. That always gets me sleepy. :)

No comments: